Refuse & Recycling
About the Division
The Refuse and Recycling Division collects residential refuse and yard waste for residential customers within the City. Curbside recycling is collected on the same day as your refuse by a company contracted by the City.
Setting Up Service
To setup service, please contact the Finance Department at 847-394-8500. Your water bill will include the monthly fee to cover the cost of this service. If you have any questions regarding refuse pickup or recycling, please contact Public Works at 847-963-0500.
Setting Out Your Waste
The earliest time you may set your refuse, yard waste, and recycling materials at the curb is 6 p.m. on the day before collection. During the following months, refuse can be set out at 3 p.m.:
Collection & Storage Regulations (view guidelines)
- All materials set out for disposal must be at the curb by 6 a.m. on collection day.
- There are no containers allowed at the curb other than your recycling cart. All household refuse must be paper or plastic bags.
- Refuse placed in hard containers (i.e. metal or plastic garbage cans) will not be accepted.
- Yard waste must be in Kraft paper bags only.
- All refuse containers and bags, yard waste bags, and recycling containers stored outside shall be in a side or rear yard and screened so as not to be visible from any street (Ordinance No. 12-35).
For More Information
For more information, contact Public Works at 847-963-0500. Additional recycling information is available at the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County or by calling SWANCC at 847-724-9205.